Saturday, February 4, 2012

You know how photographs help to keep memories alive?

Ones that maybe would have been forgotten, but because we occasionally encounter them remain engrained in our subconscious?  Well, it's been over 25 years since I've eaten my mom's Goulash, but every time she cooks it my memory hits the refresh button and I'm transported back to my 4 year old self, scraping my farm animal bowl clean of every last drop.  No, I don't miss the meat, but that's not to say that I no longer crave the bold heartiness of this Hungarian stew.  I was hesitant to make this, as I was certain that it would be a pale comparison to the original.  But this dish stands on its own merits.  It's not lentils pretending to be beef.  It's lentils being lentils, swimming in a saucy broth of sweetness and spice.  It's goulash all grown up, but never forgetting its roots. 




Lentil and Roasted Potato Goulash

1 lb lentils, cooked
3 potatoes, peeled and cut to small cubes
1 medium sized onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and grated
3 red bell peppers
1/8 tsp marjoram
1/2 tsp caraway seeds
1/2 cup flour
2-3 cloves garlic
3/4 cup tomato paste
4 cups good, hearty vegetable broth
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
3/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 1/2 tbsp paprika
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400F.
Drizzle a little olive oil on potatoes and roast for 20-25 minutes, turning a few times, until golden brown and fork tender.
In large pot, bring butter and a little oil to medium high heat.  Add onion, carrot, bell pepper, marjoram and caraway seeds.  Cook until translucent, reduce heat to medium.  Add flour and stir until dissolved, then add garlic, tomato paste, vegetable broth, sugar, vinegar, and paprika.  When all is combined, add lentils, potatoes, bay leaf, salt and pepper.  Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes to an hour.

1 comment:

  1. You know that pasta was very filling very hardy, I would say that this is one of my new comfort foods thank you for steering me away from TV dinners.

    ReplyDelete