Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Kale and Pistachio Couscous

If you are vegetarian, or even just health-conscious, then I'm sure you've heard of kale chips.  I'm not sure who first came up with the concept, but I'd like to give them a big hug.  They're fantastic, and certainly much better for you than any thing else I can think of that precedes the word "chip."  Still, there comes a point when two months of eating the same thing every day, sometimes twice a day, loses its appeal, no matter how good it is.  I created this dish with low expectations, merely a way to use up one last bunch of kale, and certainly with no plans of ever showcasing it on this blog.  But I was pleasantly surprised by it, and so thrilled to see my kids enjoy it, that I felt it had earned it's place on here with the rest of my favorites.



I am calling this a side because that's what I think most people would consider it.  But I ate it as an entree, and felt full and energetic all day.  If you are are still a little unsure of kale, I suggest only using a half bunch and leaving out the extra bits at the end, as it is hardly detectable once pureed with the other ingredients.

Kale and Pistachio Couscous
Yield: 4 sides


1 cup couscous (uncooked)
1 bunch curly kale, stems and center ribs removed, chopped
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup pistachios
1/2 tsp salt, divided
1/4 tsp pepper, divided
1 tsp lemon
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup olive oil + more for pan frying
1/2 cup parmesan
1 small onion, chopped

Toast pistachios briefly in pan with no oil over medium low heat until fragrant.  Set aside.  In a large pot over medium high heat, add broth and toss in kale, along with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper.  Cover and cook for 5 minutes.  Remove cover and continue to cook, stirring until almost all of the water has evaporated.  Remove from heat and let cool slightly.  Blitz half of the pistachios in food processor, reserving the rest to be added later, then add in half of the kale and all other ingredients except for onions.  Process well.  Cook couscous according to instructions on package.  Add a little oil to large pot and sautee onions over medium high heat until translucent.  Reduce heat to medium, then add couscous, pureed ingredients, kale, and pistachios, and toss to combine. Let cook for 5 minutes.

















2 comments:

  1. I am a vegetarian, visiting from The Inspired Room. Sounds delightful. Never heard of it. Can'e wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete