Thursday, May 30, 2013

Chimichurri

The first time I heard the word "chimichurri" was on Bobby Flay's cooking show on Food Network.  That was back when Food Network aired cooking shows.  And the History Channel talked about history.

Get off my lawn moment.  I digress.  

Back to Bobby- he went on and on about this Argentinean sauce, throwing out really beautiful descriptive words, gesticulating wildly in his bad boy celebrity chef persona that's been played to death, then proceeded to slather it on a steak and shovel it into his mouth, groaning and rolling his eyes into the back of his head in ecstacy.  

None of that was necessary.  Because he had me at "chimichurri".  Truly, could there be a more delicious-sounding sauce?  I don't think so.



There are a million recipes out there for this simple sauce/marinade, and I've tried many.  This is an amalgam of my favorites, keeping traits that I liked from some, omitting characteristics that I found fussy/unnecessary/not pleasing.  I love it on fajitas, tacos, burritos, on corn on the cob, over rice or couscous, as a marinade for portobello burgers, or even as a dip for chips.  The possibilities are endless.


Chimichurri

1 cup cilantro 
1/2 cup parsley 
3-4 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice
salt and pepper to taste

Add ingredients to food processor or blender and blend until all ingredients are incorporated.  Enjoy on everything.


8 comments:

  1. Jenny, I am SO glad for this post. I, too, have heard the groaning and moaning over chimichurri but have always been hesitant to try it. And I've got both fresh cilantro & parsley in my fridge right now, plus a couple of limes on my counter. I definitely want to give this a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that looks good!

    Jenny, I could drink Chimichurri by the glass.
    And the weird thing is, I'm not a fan of cilantro. But not in this emerald concoction.
    However, I haven't tried it on fresh corn on the cob. Taking notes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marysol! And ditto on drinking it by the glass!

      Delete
  3. Cilantro and Parsley, who could go wrong…Greens for the day, for so many things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Herbs are so often overlooked as a source of nutrients. They're rich in so many vitamins and minerals.

      Delete
  4. Jenny, I'm going to try to make the chimichurri today. How long do you think it would last in the fridge? Just wondering if I should make a 1/2 recipe to start with. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, I don't know how long it would last. It does make quite a bit, though, so halving it certainly wouldn't hurt. Hope you like it.

      Delete