Monday, January 23, 2012

One good thing leads to another...

After finishing my last salad, I had wasabi peas dancing in my head.  I thought to myself, you know, I think I've heard of wasabi-crusted meats before.  Maybe I could try it with tofu!  But to my chagrin, it had been done before.  But do you know what hadn't?
 Wasabi-crusted Eggplant. 

Eggplant and I have a tumultuous relationship.  We don't always get along.  But this dish may have just changed that forever.


Wasabi-crusted Eggplant
Yield: 4-5 servings

2 large eggplants, sliced to 1/4" thickness, salted and drained
5 cups wasabi peas, ground
4 eggs
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
4 tbsp sesame oil
4 tbsp vegetable oil, for frying

In small shallow bowl, mix together eggs, seasonings, and sesame oil.   Heat medium sized frying pan to medium high.  When oil is hot, dip eggplant slices into egg mixture, then into ground wasabi peas, coating well on both sides.  Fry eggplant until just golden on both sides (I did batches of 3-4 at a time.)  Let drain on paper towel.  Serve with your choice of dipping sauce- hoisin works well here.

4 comments:

  1. I normally don't like eggplant but this was good did not expect that..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eggplants are despised in Russia! Tolka Borsht y Vodka.
    Na zdorova,
    Vladimir Nyetnikov - Cosmonaut and enemy of the people

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the ability to ruin just about any eggplant recipe I ever try but this makes me want to try again :)

    ReplyDelete